Thursday, October 9, 2014

10.9.14 Tennessee Civil War Notes

9, Affair in Crockett County, capture of U. S. scouting party 18 miles west of Humboldt

OCTOBER 9, 1862.-Affair near Humboldt, Tenn.

Report of Capt. J. Morris Young, Fifth Iowa Cavalry.

HUMBOLDT, October 9, 1862.

One of my Tennessee cavalry captains and 11 men out scouting were captured at daybreak this morning at the house of old David Nunns, 18 miles west of here, by a party of rebel soldiers.

Reports also agree as to there being a considerable force of rebels at Brownsville-about 900-and that they are arranging to attack this place; also to concentrate some force at McClellan's to-night at 11 o'clock and destroy the railroad connection. Who am I to report to now?

J. MORRIS YOUNG, Capt., Comdg. Post.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 17, pt. I, p. 459.



        9, "An exploded cap caught in the cylinder and I could not get it out at once so I had to depend on my sabre alone." A cavalry charge and skirmish with Wheeler's raiders at Sugar Creek, according to Sergeant Charles Alley, 5th Iowa Cavalry

Today we marched to the Tennessee river 42 miles, our Regt. [sic] Having the advance. There was some slight skirmishing in the forenoon. A little after noon the rebels made a stand at Sugar Creek but were soon driven across it by Companies L and H. We then crossed the creek, the rebels retiring across some open fields up a steep hill to the cover of some woods, where they had two regiments in position. Company M was sent forward through a corn filed on foot as skirmishers on the left of the road, and Company C was ordered to charge with the sabre, up the road, we had about 600 yards to go to reach them, but it was soon passed over, as we reached the top of a hill the boys replied to the rebel fire with one thundering cheer. The firing of the rebels was very rapid and bullets flew about us in plenty, but strange to say not a man or horse was hurt. Another small hollow cleared up another gentle ascent and we were upon them, and then followed a scent of rout confusion and abject terror, I never expected to see. After we dashed through their line the main body made no resistance of note. All after that came from their dismounted men, who kept up a steady fire from the woods, but only killed one of our horses. The rebels lost in this charge some 20 killed and doubt that number wounded and one hundred and two prisoners. We followed them near 8 miles and here I must thank God for his care of me for to it I attribute my escape from death. For in the heat of the charge I had got ahead of all the company and dashed alone into a crowd of not much – if any less than a hundred of them firing my revolver as I came up. An exploded cap caught in the cylinder and I could not get it out at once so I had to depend on my sabre alone. One of the rebels I could not reach with my sabre cocked his revolver exclaiming that there is a damned Lincolnite right by himself why don't somebody kill him. I presented my useless revolver and in a fierce tone ordered him to drop his if he did not want a bullet through him. He obeyed at once, reining back my horse – which was between two of the rebels – I was shot at by about 20 of them in succession, the farthest could not be, I thought – more than ten yards off, after they had emptied their guns they called on me to surrender, at which I could not forbear a hearty laugh. It appeared to me then a good joke, though now I feel as though I was in no laughter provoking case. I told them if they wanted my arms to come and take them. That I would not give them up, as I thought I'd make a sorry sight giving up arms to such a set of fellows as they were. I then dashed my horse on one of them who came out of the woods, followed by three others – telling him to throw down his arms and the three others on being summoned followed suit. Just then the cheer of Williams and Armstrong was [sic] heard as he swept round a bend in the road, followed by three or four other boys and the rebels fled and all but the four I had in charge, these I sent to the rear. Going forward again, I captured two more and some distance farther three more. I cannot say I killed or wounded any, but if the rebels ever take my scalp it wont [sic] be till it has cost them its full value or more. Surely I ought to thank my Heavenly Father for this from the pestilence by night and the arrow by day as he has preserved me.

Alley Diary



        9, Request for U. S. C. T. to clear Fayetteville environs of rebel guerrillas

TULLAHOMA, October 9, 1864.

Maj.-Gen. THOMAS:

I have heard from various sources that there rebel companies are being recruited in Lincoln County. I sent Maj. Armstrong, of the Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, over their with forty men, and he returned to Shelbyville last night and reported that he found them about 200 strong near Boonshill [sic], and had not force enough to attack them. I sent him all the cavalry I could scrape up to get here, and ordered him to return and attack the rebels. Will you permit me to send one of the colored regiments over to Fayetteville after dark to clear out that county?

R. H. MILROY, Maj.-Gen.


NASHVILLE, TENN., October 9, 1864--9 p. m.

Maj. Gen. R. H. MILROY, Tullahoma:

Your dispatch has been received. The major-general commanding directs me to say that you have his consent to your sending of a colored regiment to Fayetteville for a few days, as you propose, to clear out that section.

ROBT. H. RAMSEY, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 39, pt. III, p. 172.




James B. Jones, Jr.

Public Historian

Tennessee Historical Commission

2941 Lebanon Road

Nashville, TN  37214

(615)-770-1090 ext. 123456

(615)-532-1549  FAX


No comments: