Friday, January 9, 2015

1.4.2015 Tennessee Civil War Notes

         4, "The Quakers, having abolition proclivities are, of course, against us, but they won't fight." A Newspaper report concerning the advance of Confederate Sentiment in East Tennessee


A correspondent writes the Nashville Banner under a late date, from Knoxville, as follows:

["]During the last four weeks I have been in many of the upper and lower counties of this division of the State, and have availed myself of every facility and opportunity to inform my mind of the public sentiment, and can, unhesitatingly declare, as my opinion, that East Tennessee is regenerated and redeemed.["]

A prominent citizen of Anderson county writes, under date of December 27th:

"Our Union friends are coming up nobly, nobly in the cause of the South. I am surprised at the rapid change in sentiment. I am told not a Union man can be found in Anderson county. I know of none."

A gentleman writing from Sevier county, December 24th, says:

["]Lincoln's message and Cameron's report[1] are bringing the reliable portion to our side. I believe a considerable majority of the citizens in Sevier are now with the South."

A gentleman writing from Blount county, December 26th,, says:

"In reply to your interrogatory, I am pleased to say that there is a wonderful change going on in parts of this county. Many who were, until recently, in favor maintaining the Federal government, are now enthusiastic for the Confederate States. The Quakers, having abolition proclivities are, of course, against us, but they won't fight."

Brownlow's case came up for a few evenings since, before the Confederate commissioner. Owing to indisposition Brownlow was not in attendance. The attorney-general read a letter from Mr. Benjamin, the Secretary of war, breathing a proper and generous spirit. At the intimation of the Secretary, Mr. Brownlow was discharged. Subsequently he was arrested by the military authorities, and is again in jail. I presume this was done in order that the government might carry; out in good faith its first intention. Brownlow is said to be very unwell. His family visited him on yesterday.

Memphis Daily Appeal, January 4, 1862.[2]

         4, Confederate Hospitals in Nashville Six Weeks before the Fall of Fort Donelson

The Nashville Hospitals.-We feel assured that on frequent allusions to these noble institutions cannot be wearisome to our readers, when we consider the deep interest we all have in their success. We would keep then as constantly as possible before the public eye, and urge them as forcibly as we can upon the patriotic hearts and consciences of our fellow citizens, in order that there may be no relaxation, no pause, no stint in the support that, thus far, has been so liberally accorded them.

But their most eloquent and convincing advocates are the accounts we are daily receiving of the noble and untiring devotion of the ladies, who, forgetting every other demand upon their time and their energies, have made themselves "ministering angels" to our suffering soldiers in the hospitals under their charge. We have before us a letter from Mrs. Shelby, the President of the Hospital Association, at Nashville, to a gentleman in this city, who has done and is doing much towards the furtherance of the institution, from which we make a few brief extracts:

"Mississippi is coming up nobly to our assistance, within the last two weeks. Arkansas, too, is coming forward. Indeed the supplies are so many, that we feel we would hardly [have] dared to ask of God, who is the giver of all we receive, so amply to fill our treasury. We are kept in a constant state of excitement, not only day by day, but almost hourly, by reports from Bowling Green, which have not as yet been realized, and, (but that I know we are obliged to conquer a peace,) I might pray we would be. I almost fear that being so familiar with death has a tendency to blunt the sensibilities. But it is a fearful thing to see so many linger for weeks, and have at last, in spite of all care, to die. I would, for my own part, rather hear of scores falling on the battle field, than to see these poor fellows, almost in their last hour, regretting that they could not be permitted to take a part in the liberation of their beloved country. I most sincerely trust that your noble citizens may be spared the tiring scenes we have every day to witness.

'Oranges! oranges!' has been the cry for the last two days, and none on hand. The truth is we had so many they were spoiled. Poor fellows! They have no money, and the fruit is so grateful to them. Those put in paper keep very well. Please do not send any more sour, as we have plenty of syrup and lime juice. I enclose you acknowledgement for the medicines. The poor doctors have not much rest. I assure you the donations were cordially received, and fully appreciated."

Daily Picayune, January 4, 1862. [3]

         4, Skirmish at Monterey

No circumstantial reports filed.

         4, Skirmish on Manchester Pike

The following is from Wheeler's report concerning his activities around Murfreesborough.

HDQRS. CAVALRY, Near Fosterville, Tenn., January 26, 1863.


* * * *

At daylight on Monday, the 4th...instant, we fell back to a point on the Manchester pike about 3 miles from Murfreesborough. About 1 o'clock the enemy advanced, and after a short skirmish we fell back half a mile a favorable position. Here we formed line of battle in conjunction with Gen. Pegram's brigade, in a very favorable position, behind fences, entirely obscured from view. About 3 o'clock the enemy advanced with a brigade of infantry and artillery in line of battle, with heavy force of cavalry on their flanks. When they arrived within about 250 yards, we opened on them a heavy fire of small-arms and artillery with excellent effect, killing and wounding large numbers. After an engagement of about thirty minutes they turned off and left the field, and have not since advanced any farther from Murfreesborough on this road.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 17, pt. I, pp. 959-960.

         4, Surgical operations after the Battle of Murfreesboro, excerpt from the diary of John C. Spence

* * * *

The surgeons were quite busy dressing the wounds of soldiers brought in from the battle field. Their operations resembled a butchers [sic] stall-here and there a soldier laid upon a table, under the influence of chloriform [sic], undergoing amputation of arms and legs, which were thrown in a corner of the room-and, from the manner that many of them worked at the business, it would seem that they would be better employed working on the leg of a calf, [sic] than a man, [sic] scarcely distinguishing a tendon from an artery.

Unfortunate for the poor soldiers who has [sic] to be the subject for these quacks [sic] who are sent to the army or go to learn their business. This humanity? [sic]

The three college buildings were used as hospitals, all the churches, several of the store rooms, and several large dwelling houses. The seats out of the churches and shelving and counters out of the store rooms. [sic] Nearly all the families had one or two wounded men in care.

Spence Diary.

         4, "Mr. Cap. Spurlock is killed and they are bringing his body up now." The War Comes Home to McMinnville

….The news of a great victory at Murfreesboro gladdened our hearts – and we counted over the spoils – as follows – 6,000 prisoners, 3,000 mules, 40 cannon, quantities of ordnance and ammunition – a good deal of coffee etc. for our sick, burnt six hundred wagons – and killed Yankees in some places 10 to 1. Our loss in killed and wounded 5,000. – Alas! How was this triumphed sullied with blood. After supper we were all sitting in the back room when Cooper[4]came to the door and said [:] "Mas' John, Mr. Spurlock has just come from Murfreesboro en' [sic] he wants you to come up there. Mr. Cap. Spurlock is killed and they are bringing his body up now." Great God! I felt as if stunned by a thunder-bolt. "Cap" Spurlock killed! [sic] I could not believe it. I could not realize it. Alas! Alas! It was too true. We all three, Mollie, Darlin', and myself went up immediately. The corpse had arrived. Oh! How wretched – how very wretched it made me feel and how I wept and sobbed. He was in the hottest part of the fight – his company was stationed on both sides of the R.R. just where it crossed the pike, near Cowan's. He was acting as Maj. – (Pat Coffee being here at home on sick furlough,) and had sprange [sic] on in advance of his men, cheering him [sic] on when he was struck down. He fell and I suppose died instantly. The ball entered just below the left nostril, and passed through his head stopping just under the skin. This however, no one knew as the struggle was so fierce and the firing so furious that they fought over him from 2 o'clock until night and it was 11 o'clock at night before his body was recovered. His father was there – he had gone down with a wagon to carry the boys Christmas things – and he brought back the body of his son! We went into the parlor at John's to see poor Cap, as soon as he was laid out. His uniform was very bloody and had to be cut off him – they had dressed him in a fine suit of black cloth such as he used to wear before the war began. How noble and handsome he looked, and how natural! [sic] You could not notice the small place where the ball entered, it was completely concealed by his mustache, and his face was oh! So serene and calm and his mouth had a faint sweet smile upon it; he was paler than usual, but otherwise looked just like himself in a calm, sweet slumber. But oh! How wretched I felt to know that he was dead! About 10 o'clock they took him down to town to his mother. Darlin' went with the corpse, and remained all night,-John Lucas Thompson came with us. It was moonlight and there was a large and brilliant halo round the moon. It was just such a night as we all met up at John's last winter – when Cap was home for a short time, and he came home with Mollie. The next night I had supper here, and some friends to meet him. – Oh! Little did I think when on Wednesday night last I lay down in bed, and was thinking about the dead and wounded that then were lying out in the cold-that our dear "Cap" was among them! That night one year ago he was on the Carolina coast; and that night two years ago – he was here, amid a merry throng at our "Union party!" God rest his soul – and I know it is in glory. On Friday afternoon we attended the funeral, I made a beautiful wreath of geranium leaves and Daphne – emblems of the loves and honors he had won and it was laid on his breast. It should have been laid at his feet where all earthly crowns must now lie. In his coffin – still and pale – he looked like the Christian hero that he was. A garland of geranium and evergreen was laid all around his head and shoulders – my wreath emblematic of the completeness of his life – lay upon his breast. Few looked on him without tears – his family and friends were overwhelmed. The frantic exclamations of his mother – the half frightened and wild sobbing of poor Florence[5]-and the still silent agony of the aged father were terrible to me. As Miss Sophia Searcy stood for hours beside his coffin, weeping, I wondered if she remembered the time when she had said,-"Let the war come! I want it to come! I want these Tennesseans roused – let it come – we are ready." Were any of us ready to part with "Cap"? The artillery firing at Murfreesboro was tremendous that evening heavier and faster than we ever heard it-and it was heard as Mr. McMurray prayed, and voiced tremulous with tears raised the hymn around the soldier's coffin. All the way to the grave yard – and while we laid him down to his last rest – and as we returned – it came rolling up from the northeast – a fitting requiem for the gallant dead. About dark we came home in John's carriage – I had cried so much and been so excited I was sick all night and all next. It rained all day Saturday, and rained and blew furiously last night. – About 8 o'clock last night Henderson came to the door and said "Mas. John the telegraph operator says for you to come in there, he's got a dispatch for you." Boisterous and stormy as it was Darlin' jumped on his horse and rode in. I was confident Brooks Trezevant was killed – or wounded. Mollie land I sat here in the greatest suspense until Darlin' returned. "What is it?" we asked breathlessly. "Go South immediately" he replied! [sic] were the ominous words. Our army was then retreating! Brooks was safe – and I thanked God for that. He had told me he was fearful it would be another Shiloh or Perryville affair – we would whip them but they would re-inforce, and we would be obliged to fall back. And so it was proved. Many citizens returned from Murfreesboro today – indeed the road has been full of citizens returned from Murfreesboro today – Gov. Harris, Andrew Ewing, Judge Humphrey and many others have come in. The report of victory decided – the Yankees re-inforced, and our men having got off all the prisoners and things captured, were retreating in good order to Wartrace and Shelbyville. They say this – but they will retreat to Chattanooga, as sure as you live-and we will be left here at the mercy of those savages, the Yankees. What is to become of us God only knows. I wish we could go to Georgia – yet how to get something to eat there – that is the question. And if the Yankees come in here -as they assuredly will – how are we to live here. I feel as though it is no use to try to save anything – for we are ruined let us go or stay. We may as well give it up. – I do – and if we save our lives it is all that I expect. God help us in our need. I wrote today a tribute to the memory of Cap and Cicero Spurlock and will try to send it to Henry Watterson of the Chattanooga [Daily] Rebel for Publication. I want to go to Church today but it was so muddy and windy I could not – Darlin' seems to have some idea of leaving here and moving to town. I look for the Yankees here very soon – sooner than we are ready for them. I expect nothing else but that they will come in and fins us right here. [sic]….

War Journal of Lucy Virginia French.

         4, Questioning police sting operations in Nashville

The Military and Civic Police.

….However faithful and honest men may be in the public service, there can be no harm in watching them, and it often becomes the painful duty of the Press to call public attention to matters relating to their peculiar interests. We are not made acquainted with the precise arrangement entered into between Gen. Rosecrans and Mayor Smith, but have been told that it was substantially the same as recommended by us, the main points of which are given in the above extracts. If such be the fact, by what authority do these men, detailed as a night patrol, go about the streets during the day, while off duty, unaccompanied by a policeman, forcibly enter private houses, search them, seize and carry away what liquor they may find, and subject the occupants to prosecution without a shadow of legal proof against them?

Again, is it conducive to the public good that this night patrol should spend their days hunting up whisky as spies, hiring negroes to obtain whisky for them, and then appear against the parties in the morning, charging them with selling whisky to soldiers? Private dwellings have been invaded, and liquor seized, which has been kept solely, according to evidence, for private use. During these unlawful and in come cases uncalled for searches, much rudeness has been exercised toward females, and in some cases property has been abstracted. These are facts which have come out in evidence before the Recorder, and can be substantiated.

To remedy this evil, we respectfully ask the Mayor to inaugurate a plan somewhat as follows:  When a search becomes necessary, let it be done by one of the Deputy Marshals, or by a Policeman, accompanied by a guard, when necessary, sufficiently strong to protect him and to secure a thorough search of the suspected premises. Everything should be done decently, and neither personal injury nor insult should be offered to the occupant or occupants of the suspected premises. A proper return should be made of the amount and supposed value of the liquor seized, and the property handed over to the person authorized by the Commander of the Post to receive it, and take his receipt therefor.

In what we have said we do not mean to attach any blame to the principal officers—we know they would regret that such things should occur as much as we; but we call their attention to these facts, knowing that they will turn their attention to remedying the evil as soon as the matter comes under their observation. Some inconvenience we must all necessarily suffer, but we desire that private citizens shall have as little cause as possible to complain, and particularly the poor and friendless.

Nashville Dispatch, January 4, 1863.

         4, Letter of Andrew J. Murphy, 8th Tennessee Infantry, recounting his experience at the battle of Stones River to his mother

January 4, 1863

Shelbyville, Tennessee

Dear and Beloved Mother

As Mr. Dice is about starting home, I thought it best to write you a few lines. Our Army is is falling back to Tullahoma to recruit up. I suppose our boys have suffered immensely, we have been lying in line of battle for 8 or 9 days. We fought on the 31st day of Dec. Our left and senter was all that was engaged. We drove them back from 5 to 7 miles with the terribles [sic] of slaughter my eyes ever beheld. I think the loss of the enemy will no [number?] in killed and wounded some 8 or 10 thousand. We took 6 or 7 thousand prisoners. If can't tell how many other troops suffer but our Regiment. We lost in killed and wounded 250 or 300 men. Our Colonel was killed and nearly all the officers of the Regiment. I believe we have 7 or 8 of them left. Col. Anderson was not hurt neither was Capt. Burford. Lieut. Kirby was killed and several other Burford company. Tell Mr. Kirby marshal is all safe after praying strongly and stood the day pretty well. I was shot through the thigh with a minnie ball, though did not stop for it for some 30 or 40 minutes afterwards.

I was struck on the hip with a piece of shell which knocked me down and bruised up my hip, very much though I can walk about a little with the aid of my stick. Can't ride on horse back. Dear Mother, don't suffer and worry about me for if am doing very well. I think I will get well in a short while with proper care and managements. Tell Uncle Bryan I still have both my horses the gorse is not quite sufficient order to sell. I have been offered $450 dollars for him by 4 men. I think one of those men will be very willing to give me five hundred dollars for him. I never saw the like of horses killed in my life. We captured forty seven pieces of fine Artillery all of which we got off the field and small arms I could not tell, a great deal of other valuable property 3 0r 4 hundred wagons and teams. Tell Uncle Bryan I will write to him by the first opportunity. Give my best respects to all our family and inquiring friends. I will try and come after a while as soon as the Army gets up and settled. May the Lord bless you all is my sincere prayer. I will remain your affectionate son.

A.J. Murphy


         4-5, "I was one of those anxious to go over the field of our retreat and see the damage done to us and theirs…." Sergeant George G. Sinclair's visit to the Stones River battlefield, January 4 and 5, 1863; an excerpt from his letter home, January 6, 1863

….In the morning [January 4] early when we found that the rebels had gone, there was a detail of men from each company of each regiment to go out and look up their dead and wounded, if any could be found. I was one of those anxious to go over the field of our retreat and see the damage done to us also theirs [sic], if possible, but theirs had been taken care of and they had three days position [sic] of that part of the field to bury dead in which of course they did some but after all I could and did count three rebs [sic] for every Union soldier on that ground. There was [sic] some awful sights and every one of our men was stripped of their clothing and shoes more or less and those of their own that had anything of any worth taking. I must say and I am glad to do so, that they treated our wounded men and prisoners with every attention possible under the circumstances not taunting them with hard names or anything of the kind, but treating them as welcome guests. And in our case that I heard of, two rebels went out and built a fire and laid down by one of our wounded men that couldn't be moved until his wounds were dressed, stopping with him two nights in succession adjusting his head covering, covering him with blankets, fixing his drink and food. This I have from some for our men who was taken prisoners [sic] and sent to the hospitals to take care of the wounded. By the way every house was converted into a hospital for miles around….Coming across a field where we [89th Regiment Illinois Volunteers] made one of our rallies and the ground was literly [sic] covered in rows with dead men. We never thought that we did such execution, but the work was inevitably ours as no other part of the army was near that spot and to make it look far worse, the hogs of which there are a great number running about, had eat [sic] some of the bodies half up. I found quite a prize on that field, beside the body of a young man that was mutilated horribly, you'd be surprised when I tell you what my prize was, well it was no more or less than a corn dodger, a little dirty to be sure, but that did not matter to me as I had not had any bread for nearly three days….The next morning, January 5th, the search was continued and a squad sent out to bury the dead. I had seen enough the day before so I did not go there, but went out and killed a hog as did some other boys, then we had plenty again, such as it was….The day was taken up burying and removing the wounded to some permanent hospitals. At night it rained giving us a good drenching but we are used to that now and make the best of it….When we came into Murfreesboro, everything was shut closed except where the boys had opened on their own before. Nearly every inhabitant has left, in fact the whole country is deserted. We are now encamped about four miles from Murfreesboro toward Shelbyville, Tenn., where we are to stop a week or so to rest and recruit. On our way from Murfreesboro to this place, we saw some encampments of the rebs [sic], who left in more of a hurry than ever we did on the Wednesday [December 31] before. They left camps and everything else standing and got off in a hurry. The most of the leaving their arms and equipment, that did me good, I tell you….

Sinclair Correspondence

         4, Scout from Collierville to Germantown

COLLIERVILLE, TENN. January 4, 1864.


The following from Germantown:

The scout sent out has returned; saw no enemy nor could hear of any in that direction.

CHARLES W. WHITSIT, Maj., Cmdg. Sixth Illinois Cavalry.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. II, p. 25.

         4, Report on the soldiers' home in Memphis [see January 11, 1864 Report to and endorsement of Major-General W.T. Sherman relative to Federal Soldiers' Home in Memphis below]

Rooms Western Sanitary Commission

St. Louis, January 4, 1864

Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, Cmdg. Dept. of the Tennessee


We have found the building occupied by us as a soldiers' home at Memphis so far from the river (being a mile or more back of the city) that is a great inconvenience and drawback to the usefulness of the institution. The building known as the Union Hospital, as we learn from our superintendent, has been vacated, and being near the river and centrally located is admirably adapted for our home, being already furnished with many fixtures that would be useful to such an institution. Mr. O.E. Waters, our superintendent, has not been able to procure an order for it to be turned over to him from the authorities in charge of the property at Memphis, probably from an unwillingness on their part to take the responsibility. After consultation with Rev. Dr. Elliot (Mr. Yeatman having gone to Vicksburg), I respectfully solicit an order from you to the officers in charge of this property, lately occupied as the Union Hospital, Memphis, Tenn., to turn the same over to the Western Sanitary Commission for a soldiers' home, with such fixtures and furniture as are not needed for Government or hospital purposes elsewhere, taking the receipt of their agent for the same. I take the liberty of adding that we regard our soldiers' homes as doing a most useful and excellent work, and that we take pains to have them only temporary stopping-places for the soldiers in passing to and from duty, but at the same time saving them from imposition and expense. Nearly 100,000 have had meals and lodgings in them since they were established.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. II, p. 26.

         4, Myra Adelaide Inman's reflections on the course of the war

A cloudy and rainy day. I finished my chemise this eve. About 100 more Yanks came in this eve. [sic] One here for milk and another for butter. How I long for peace or even to see our army back here again. This is the darkest hour our Confederacy has ever seen.

About two thirds of Georgia has given it up, they are putting every man from the age of 15 to 65 in the army. [sic] A great many of our soldiers are deserting, how disgraceful. Wonder if the yoke of bondage will be on our necks this time next year. I feel so impatient to see the end of all this strife and bloodshed. If I could only see into the future 6 months, but I presume I will be jogging along the even tenor of my way anticipating yet never realizing my wishes.

Diary of Myra Adelaide Inman, p. 225.

         4, Outfitting Confederate refugees with goods smuggled by Negroes; "I think she is a star darkie"

January, Monday 4, 1864

I always try to see the bright side of every picture. I have never given up hope but Bettie would come right side up-and I think she is a star darkie-she and Uncle Elum arrived safely at home. Bettie was loaded with contraband-Eddie a suit of clothes, pr Boots, Gauntlets, socks-blacking, and in fact everything he sent for-he is so grateful and real proud of all his things. Laura gave him the Gauntlets-he went with me to my room, and I packed his valise, he now has everything in the world he needs-and Company to go South with him, Sam Alexander, one of the Bluff City's came and stoped [sic] over night to go on in the morning, old Mr. Jaison with him. Dear Eddie, this is his last night with us, we all sat up very late. Weather gloomy, bitter cold, ground still covered with Snow.

Diary of Belle Edmondson

         4, Scout from Collierville to Germantown

COLLIERVILLE, TENN., January 4, 1864.


The following from Germantown:

The scout sent out has returned; saw no enemy nor could hear of any in that direction.

CHARLES W. WHITSIT, Maj., Cmdg. Sixth Illinois Cavalry.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. II, p. 25.

         4, "…while fooling with it it exploded wounding him so severely that his right leg had to be amputated;" an Ohio Sharpshooter, Captain G. M. Barber's letter home from Chattanooga

Head Quarters Battalion O.V.S.S

Chattanooga January 4 1864

My Dear Wife

Having an opportunity to send a letter through to Cincinnati(?) I embrace the opportunity to write a brief note. I am in excellent health and so are all of my command except George Miller one of Lt. Stearns recruits who arrived here two days ago. Yesterday he picked up a shell a short distance from camp and while fooling with it it exploded wounding him so severely that his right leg had to be amputated. He is in the hospital and appears to be doing well. Dr Shere is going home on 20 days leave of absence to recruit his health Udell A Brailey is discharged and he also starts tomorrow morning. I now have a Negro boy named Pandeen to wait on me and Oren Richards takes care of my horse's mails are quite irregular yet owing to the difficulty of running boats in the river. On Friday of this week the R.R. is to open to Chattanooga when we shall have regular daily mail and be within three days by rail of Cleveland. Yesterday I formed the acquaintance of two ladies at the field hospital Mrs. Bickindyke of Cleveland and Mrs. Porter of Milwakee [sic]. Both interesting ladies only rather elderly. The weather is very cold just now the ground is slightly covered with snow the first of the season.

Deserters still come in in droves. Yesterday 40 came in one squad. I hope it will continue and will result in so weakening the reb [sic] Army that they will make peace in the spring. I have received yours of the 27th with nothing later. I wish you would send me papers often. I have not received Harpers for I...cannot get it here. We now have a citizens['] post master and when the railroad is open should get our mail regularly and papers will be forwarded. Give my compliments to Mina if there. To Miss Caswell and all my friends.

I wrote you for coat and pants to be sent by Lt. Stearns. I use up socks very rapidly if you would send me a bolt of yarn I could get them darned.

Kiss the children for Pa

I love my own H.L.

Yours G.M.

Barber Correspondence[6]

         4-14, Operations about Sparta along the Calfkiller River

JANUARY 4-14, 1864.-Operations about Sparta, Tenn.

Report of Col. Thomas J. Harrison, Eighth Indiana Cavalry.

HDQRS. U. S. FORCES, Cedar Grove, January 14, 1864.

GEN.: I have the honor to report that on the 4th instant I proceeded to the other side of the Cumberland Mountains with 200 men, dividing them into four parties. Capt. Thomas Herring was sent down Caney Fork with 60 men; Capt. W. W. De Witt with 50 men directly on Sparta; Capt. Leavell down the Blue Spring Cove with 30 men, and I headed a party of 60 men that descended the mountain at the head of the Calfkiller. We respectively reached the points designated at daylight on Tuesday morning. My orders to the various parties were to move in the direction of Sparta and concentrate at that point in the evening, arresting all the men that could be found. The points designated include the localities of Capt. Carter's, Capt. Champ Ferguson's, Maj. Bledsoe's, and Col. Murray's squads of bushwhackers. Our move resulted in considerable skirmishing. We remained on the Calfkiller for five days, and in that time we killed 4 of the bushwhackers and wounded 5 or 6 capturing 15, including a captain and lieutenant, 30 horses, and 20 stand of arms. We visited the farm of Champ Ferguson on two occasions, capturing much of the sutler's goods taken by him from Col. Brownlow's sutler, and 5 of his horses, with many valuable articles. We had 2 men captured by straggling, but they were stripped of horses, arms, and valuable clothing, and turned loose. Before we left the valley these bandits would fly to the mountains on the approach of even a squad of our men.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

T. J. HARRISON, Col., commanding.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. I, pp. 65-66.


Excerpt from the Reports of Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, U. S. Army, commanding Department of the Cumberland, of operations January 1-April 30. 1864

* * * *

Col. T. J. Harrison, Thirty-ninth Indiana (mounted infantry), reports from Cedar Grove...that he had sent an expedition of 200 men to Sparta, to look after the guerrillas in that vicinity. They divided into five parties, concentrating at Sparta. Having passed over the localities of Carter's, Champ Ferguson's, Bledsoe's, and Murray's guerrillas, his (Harrison's) force remained on the Calfkiller five days, and during that time killed 4, wounded 5 or 6, and captured 15, including a captain and lieutenant, 30 horses, and 20 stand of arms.

* * * *

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. I, p. 7.

         4, Railroad workers exempted from serving in the militia in Memphis

WASHINGTON, D. C., January 4, 1865.

(Received 7th.)

Maj.-Gen. DANA, Memphis, via Cairo:

Your order putting railroad employes in militia organizations is not approved. You will give them a special organization under their own officers and require them to do military duty only in cases of special danger. This rule is adopted here in regard to quartermaster and other Government employes.

H. W. HALLECK, Maj.-Gen. and Chief of Staff.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 48, pt. I, p. 413.


[1] Lincoln's Secretary of War, Simon Cameron, made a report on December 1, 1861, to the President which spelled out the Federal war aims.

[2] As cited in PQCW.

[3] As cited in PQCW.

[4] A slave-boy belonging to the Smith family.

[5] Evidently "Cap's" widow.

[6] As cited in:  [Hereinafter cited as: Barber Correspondence.]

James B. Jones, Jr.

Public Historian

Tennessee Historical Commission

2941 Lebanon Road

Nashville, TN  37214

(615)-770-1090 ext. 123456

(615)-532-1549  FAX


No comments: