Thursday, April 16, 2015

4.16.2015 Tennessee Civil War Notes


        16, Skirmish in Savannah[1]

        16, Assessing the aftermath of the battle of Shiloh; the impressions of Charles Alley, 5th Iowa Cavalry

Crossed to Pittsburgh Landing and in moving to our camp we crossed the battle field. If the east side showed the destruction caused by troops on the march, here everything told of the terrible physical struggle. Large trees shot off in the middle, and the bark of about every tree riddled by musket balls, in fact almost every twig shot away. It looks to be almost an impossibility for men to live in such a storm of shot as was raging here, and so indeed it would be if the men were right here at the time the balls flew so thickly. But they generally go over those they are aimed at. The ground was torn up by shot and shell, and close to each other an all sides were graves of men and horses. The stench that arose from the field was almost sickening and a great deal of sickness prevailed among the troops after the battle….We were almost defeated, but than God for His blessing on the strong arms of our brave soldier, we were victors. May we praise Him.

Alley Diary

        16, Colonel John T. Wilder's letter home to his wife in Indiana, relative to activities concurrent with the battle of Shiloh and its aftermath

Camp at Pittsburg [sic] Tenn., Apr. 16th '62

Dear Pet,

I telegraphed you immediately after the great battle to let you know there was nothing the matter with us. Our Reg't [sic] did not get here until Monday night, too late for the fight. We, that is, Gen. Hascall, with the 17th Ind., 26th O., and 600 cavalry were send from Columbia to Lawrenceburg Tenn. to disperse a gang of rebels, at the same time that the rest of the Division came on here, we went down there and done [sic] it, capturing 5000 lbs of bacon, a couple dozen guns two drums a flag, 6 horses & saddles and wounding two secesh cavalry also getting their mail – the balance ran – we then made our way for this place to get here after marching 10 days continuously. (the last three, 25 miles a day) to be too late for the fight- well, the fight was terrible, they whipped Grant the first day, and Buell drove them from the ground the next day, soundly thrashed, our division took the advance tuesday [sic] morning after the fight. I have had it ever since – we lay in the wood without tents, and have to carry our provisions 5 miles on our backs – our teams and tents will be over the river tomorrow – I will not attempt to tell you of the awful destruction of the battle ground which covered a space of about 25 square miles – the dead lay on every acre of it when we came home – there was just about two rebels for each one of ours – probably about 3,000 in all dead – hundreds of trees shattered to splinters, gun carriages torn to bits, dead horses by the drove, heads, arms, legs and mangled bodies strewn around, all combined to make up a picture of horrors that it would be well for infernal political leaders to look on, and if they did not then learn to mind their own business, to be made a part of [sic] – you cannot imagine how little value one puts upon human life after riding among such scenes for day, as I have, in tracing roads, placing pickets &c. the rebels are reported as very much demoralized, they haven't fallen back to Corinth and are busily entrenching – but they cannot stand our determined attack, which will be made within a short time – We have them now cut off from the east by R.R. and will soon have full possession of the Mississippi River – I think their cause is nearly used up, at least their army is – my health is good, Jake is complaining a little, but all the rest are well – it is too late & I must close, as we get up at 4 every morning and form a line of battle to prevent any surprise at daylight – good Bye [sic] remember me to all –

As ever, your true husband

J. T. Wilder

Write to me at Pittsburg Tenn. did your bird (?) get through safe –

Wilder Collection.[2]

        16, One Hoosier's experience at the Battle of Shiloh; the letter of Private William Richardson, Company H, 25th Indiana Regiment, to his uncle

Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn., April 16th, 1862

Mr. Thomas Jones:

Respected Uncle -- With delight do I grasp my pen in order to write you a few lines to let you know how I am getting along -- how I enjoy a soldier's life and how time is passing off with me. Also to let you know of our great battle that we have had here.

I am in good health and have generally enjoyed good health, though I have for a few days past been troubled with toothache considerably. The health of the soldiers is not very good at present. The diarrhea is very bad among the boys. One of Co. E died last night and was buried this morning. Cousin Davy Turnham is as fat as a bear and came through the fight all right. I too came out without a scratch.

This was a terrible battle that we had here. Old Gen. Beauregard chose to attack us on last Sabbath morning a week ago, April 6, 1862, and did accordingly about 7:00 in the morning. We never knew anything of an attack till we heard the cannon begin to roar, and then the rebels were already inside of our lines. I think that our General was a little careless by not having out picket guards in order to give us sufficient time to prepare for an attack. But instead of this our General let the rebels advance upon us in columns of thousands, whip and cut up our men before we could get out and get the movements of their flanks. We had to march some two miles, regiment after regiment, before we could open fire upon them; and by the time we could all get out and get the run of their movements, they had our men retreating. Therefore I think they had superior advantage over us.

Our regiment met the rebels and fought them bravely, but as they had a superior force to us we were obliged to retreat, but according to order we fell back a few rods and formed again and gave the scoundrels a terrible fight. We succeeded in driving them back a little, but they came again upon us in much greater numbers, and we had to retreat inch by inch almost till about 4:00 in the evening when we got reinforced by a few thousand. We then made another charge upon them and made them fall back about a mile. This ended the fight for the night. During the night, Gen. Buell arrived with a part of his forces and placed them, regiment after regiment, in front of our columns, all ready to renew the fight. At daylight we moved forward about a mile when we met the rebels ready for battle again; but in less than a hour, we had them getting back faster than they advanced the day before. But they fought like mad dogs. They would fall back a little and rally again, and fight desperately. I just thought that they would fight us till they were all killed. They would come up in such good order. We would flank them and we sometimes would nearly have them surrounded, but they would fight their way out. But they fought more bravely than they would have done had they not drunk so much whiskey mixed with gunpowder. The wounded rebels nearly all had whiskey in their canteens as I was told. We drove them until about 4:00 in the evening when the stampede became general with them, and they all took leg bail, each man for himself. Our cavalry followed them until dark, when they returned with several prisoners. Many of the rebels threw their guns and knapsacks away, and I expect are at their homes very well satisfied. I believe I would be at least if I were a rebel. They have returned back to Corinth, where they formerly were-about 18 miles from here. Their loss is said to be about 15,000 and ours 10,000. Oh uncle, this was a terrible battle. I have heard thunder storms and other great noises, but nothing to compare with the noise that we made here. It was a continual roaring. It put me in mind of a steamboat letting off steam with one clap of thunder right after another continuously for two days. I could see the fire blazing from the cannon and one dense fog of smoke continuously rising all the time. I tell you if this was not enough to make a man feel a little scary I do not know what would. In many places one could stand and see the dead and wounded lying so think that he could count 30 or 40 without moving out from his tracks. Some with their brains shot out, some with their whole heads shot off, some with legs and arms shot off and such a groaning was never heard before I suppose as was heard here. An in many places the trees and bushes are cut off like grass almost. Many large trees are cut down by cannon balls. Oh I do not see how as many of us escaped as well as we did. I will tell you now of those that were killed and wounded although I suppose you have heard before this time. Capt. Baltsman of Co. A, 1st Lieut. Brickett of Co. C and 1st Lieut. Patterson of Co. G were killed. These were all the commissioned officers in our regiment that were killed. Henry Morris, Henry Wright, E. B. Wilson, Geo, McKinsey and I J. Vanwinkle of Co. E were killed; also Thomas B. Handy and Chandley Redfield of Co. H and Samuel Smith of Co. K were killed. Several others of different companies were killed. Our Lieutenant Colonel was wounded slightly in the leg. Will Jones was wounded in the leg so badly that his leg will have to come off.

Your true friend.

William Richardson

Letter of William Richardson[3]

        16, Newspaper Report on a Confrontation with Brigands in the Mount Pleasant environs

Brush with Rebel Bandits.- Dr. J. M. Kellum, who was deputed by the citizens of Clermont county, Ohio, to visit Pittsburg Landing and give his professional services to the wounded there, determined to make the trip by land. He accordingly went as far as Columbia, Tenn., by the way of Nashville, and from thence, in company with Mr. Perkins, took horses to finish the journey. They had ridden past Mount Pleasant-where a week before the 2d Kentucky Infantry and others of our troops had encamped-when they came to a point where a ravine and bluff skirted the road. Looking ahead, Dr. Kellum discovered five or six men scouting the woods, and as he partially turned his horse's head he found that others of the gang had crept from concealment in his rear so that there was no chance of escape. The members of the gang had no war-like insignia, though one wore brass buttons affixed to his coat in a military fashion. The doctor seeing that his opponents had a thieving look, took a valuable watch from his pocked and laid it beneath his saddle, protected by the pad. The bandits immediately opened fire upon them, discharging pistols, as there appeared to but one long weapon among them. Both the horses were untrained to stand fire and became very restive; that of Mr. Perkins proved entirely unmanageable, and dashed off with him down the road. Dr. Kellum promptly returned the fire, but from the curveting of the horses him aim was unsteady and his shot apparently ineffective. He had discharged all the barrels of his revolvers, when two of the marauders rushed into the road to secure his horse. Dashing the rowels into the animal, he ran down one of them down, and, turning quickly, attempted the same strategy with the other, but at this juncture he received a pistol bullet in his leg. The horse, startled at the report, reared and fell on his haunches against a bank. While lying there, a partially decayed stick of wood was disengaged from above or else thrown down upon the Doctor, which struck him on the head and back and bore him to ground senseless, his horse at the same time bounding away on the road back toward Mt. Pleasant. When he recovered the Doctor found that he had been robbed of his revolvers and some $75 in money. The rest of his funds and valuable papers were concealed about his person that they escaped the observation of the ruffians. After a while he regained his consciousness, and after extemporizing a bandage for his wound, he started back to walk toward Mount Pleasant. He had proceeded a mile or two, when he was gratified to find his horse, which he recovered, together with his watch. After this adventure, the doctor returned to this city [Louisville], where he still remains, as the nature of his wound is too painful-though fortunately not dangerous-to enable him to proceed to his delegated errand. As soon as convalescence will permit, he hopes to start again for Tennessee.

This attack upon travellers in open day on a frequented turnpike suggests the necessity of a speedy organization of an efficient mounted guard, comprised of loyal citizens of Tennessee, who shall act as convoys to those who are compelled to make the journey across the barbaric track between Mt. Pleasant and Savannah. The whole country should be thoroughly scouted, and all taken in arms should be tried by court martial and dealt with by military law. The cutting of telegraph wires and these guerrilla attacks on small parties of non-combatants are disgraceful to the civilization of the age, and being beyond the pale of honorable warfare, should be treated accordingly.

Louisville Daily Journal, April 16, 1862.

E, JR., Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Fourteenth Alabama Cavalry.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 23, pt. II, pp. 701-702.



        16, Skirmish at Holt's Corners

No circumstantial reports filed.


Chapel Hill, April 16, 1863 Lieut.-Gen. POLK:

GEN.: I wrote you a dispatch this morning, which, through some oversight, was not sent. The enemy came up to Holt's Corners this morning. The picket relief, about 80 strong, attacked them and drove them 3 or 4 miles. Capt. [P. H.] Rice, who was in command, states that their number was about 300. They captured our advance guard, 5 men. This was done by a decoy, which led them into an ambuscade. The officers and men engaged acted very gallantly. The enemy left no dead upon the ground, but the fatality among their horses was severe. Nobody hurt on our side. The enemy are still side of College Grove. When my scouts return I will be able to give you the particulars as to their whereabouts.


OR, Ser. I, Vol. 23, pt. II, p. 775.

        16, A Confederate soldier's observations about his home place in the Cleveland environs

* * * *

There is a camp of Federal troops within a mile and a half of our home, and they sometimes visit our house and the houses of other southern people in the neighborhood and carry off such articles as they like, but the worst enemies by all odds, and the ones for whom our people have the greatest dred [sic] are those who call themselves "homeguards," but who are simply organized bands of bushwhackers and robbers.

Diary of William A. Sloan, March 15, 1863.

        16, Sol Street's guerrilla attack on a Federal forage train foiled by U. S. Cavalry between LaGrange and Saulsbury [see March 15, 1863, "Sol Street's guerrilla band's activities near Grand Junction" above]

Memphis Bulletin, March 22, 1863.

16, Grand Review of the Army of the Cumberland in Murfreesboro; excerpts from the letter of Albert Potter, Fourth Michigan cavalry, to his sister

Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Wednesday Mar 17th

Dear Sis

*  *  *  *

We had a grand review and inspection of all the Cavalry Force in the Department or nearly all by Maj Gen Rosecrans yesterday at 12 M it was a grand sight. The Review was on a large common 2 miles from town. There was one large flag with the Gen'l and then the "star" flags of each Brigadier or Commander of Brigade numbered to show which each commanded and then most of the different Companies had their Guidions. All together made a handsome show with the officers with their full uniforms and white gauntlets and red sashes. Gen Stanley wore a Yellow Sash. The maj gen wore none at all. Rosecrans is a large well proportioned man, looks about forty five. Is quite bald as I could see when he saluted the Brigadiers. He looks good-natured and benevolent. Has a large Roman nose slightly hooked as he passed us on a gallop with his staff. He said "good morning, gentlemen! I am glad to see you all out this morning." And a little further on "you are the hope of the army. Do you mind that?" and on he went talking along the line and encouraging the men. Mrs. Rosecrans was at the Review also. I was not close to her. She was dressed in black and rode a splendid horse. I believe Gen Rosecrans is the most popular Gen'l in the army of the Union. He has never been whipped and permit me to say he never will be. The army in this department has the prestige of success and victory and we intend to keep our name good. The rumor prevails here at the present that Vicksburg is evacuated and the army moving up to crush us out. How much truth there is in the report I can't tell. We will be ready for them at any rate…..

Potter Correspondence.

        16, Punishment for disobedience of orders, 34th Illinois Infantry, Murfreesboro

Monday, March 16 – Joseph H. S_____ a private of Company G having been tried by Court Martial convicted of disobedience of orders and sentenced to forfeit one months [sic] pay and publicly reprimanded by the Colonel in the presence of the Regiment was compelled to undergo the latter part of the sentence during Dress Parade this evening – when his name was called S____ stepped from his place in the ranks in front and center of the line and stood there with uncovered head while the Colonel reprimanded him.

Diary of Lyman S. Widney

        16, Excerpts from a newspaper report relative preparation of hospitals for Union casualties to trade with the enemy from occupied Memphis



From present indications Memphis promises to become a vast hospital the coming summer. Even now there is not a little preparation for such a consummation. All the large houses, whether hotels, stores or whatnot, have been seized and the occupants forced to leave, and immediately thereafter the work of converting them to hospitals commences. Accommodations are to be made for ten thousand sick and wounded; but it is probable the accommodations will far exceed anything previously calculated upon. Some of these buildings have been fixed up in the most successful manner and the prospect is that all our hospitals will pass as worthy of the name.

The trade of Memphis has been materially affected by recent military regulations. Heretofore, any one from the South who wished supplies could come to the city and get them. But this ruinous policy no longer prevails. Persons can, indeed, get supplies necessary for their comfort; but they must prove their loyalty by taking the oath, and, in addition, swear that the supplies needed are not to be used by parties in the interest of the confederacy. The result is that the wholesale smuggling is stopped, and but little now passes to the enemy beyond our lines. The wonder is that such restrictions were not placed on such articles having a Southern destination. The question naturally arises, "Where has the greater bulk of them gone to?" and there is but one response and that is, to the enemy. This being a fact it is more than ever necessary that, if "trade follows the flag," it should be regulated by wholesome restraints that preclude the possibility of injury to the cause of which the flag is but the symbol. It is said there are hundreds of reputed good Union men making fortunes by running the blockade and conducting a contraband trade; but if it depended upon such to restore peace we should not have it for ages to come. They would never favor peace while they were making fortunes out of war.


The New York Herald, March 16, 1863.

        16-18, Expedition from Jackson to Trenton

MARCH 16-18, 1863.-Expedition from Jackson to Trenton, Tenn.

Report of Lieut. Col. Daniel H. Brush, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry.


SIR: I hereby report that, in pursuance of orders received from headquarters of District of Jackson, on the evening of 15th instant, I started at 6 o'clock the next morning with what men I could mount, and proceeded on the route indicated. In approaching Humboldt on the west side of the railroad, when within 3 or 4 miles, we came near to the middle fork of the Forked Deer River, and ascertained that it was impossible to cross that stream to the west, owing to the destruction of bridges and the highness of the water, and learning from a man direct from Humboldt that no armed rebels were there, I so far departed from the strict letter of the orders as to cross the railroad and proceed to Humboldt on the east side. We had to make a considerable circuit through a very swampy bottom to a ford, where we crossed. On arriving at Humboldt, I had the town surrounded, but found nobody there except citizens and a company of Sixty-second Illinois Regt. [sic] I learned there that the previous afternoon 10 or 12 men, armed, supposed to be rebel soldiers, passed through the town, making no stop and doing no damage to property or persons. It was reported that they had come across two artillerymen in that vicinity, whom they took prisoners and paroled.

From Humboldt I proceeded to Trenton, going up on west side of the railroad. When we reached to place, I caused it to be surrounded, and caused a search to be made, but no rebels were discovered, and I could not learn that any had been there since the Union troops left; everything seemed peaceable and quiet. I was told that a Col. McMurray, formerly in the rebel service, had been discharged and returned to his home, some 8 miles west of Trenton, two or three weeks since, to stay; also that a young man named Bell had left the enemy and gone to his home in the neighborhood. I left Trenton about 6 p. m., taking the road toward Jackson, east side of railroad, and camped for the night 5 miles south of the town. Next day at sunrise we started, and finding the bridges across the middle fork of the Forked Deer had been destroyed, made a detour to the east about 15 miles, to the Spring Creek road. The crossing of the creek there was quite difficult, the bridge being nearly destroyed and the ford deep and muddy. However, we got horses and men across safely. It was reported to me by a man of the vicinity that on last Saturday night a squad of mounted rebels passed the road going west, and passed again going east on Sunday night. The man who told me had not seen them, but said it was the neighborhood report; that some horses had been stolen in the neighborhood, and it was supposed that was the business the men were on. From Spring Creek we took the road to this place, where we arrived about dark.

During the trip two Government mules were found in a man's stable and brought in, to be turned over to the proper officer. The man stated he had taken the mules up on road a short time since, intending to keep them for the Government until he could deliver them. We procured feed for our horses of three different men on the trip, to whom statements were given showing the facts.

Respectfully submitted.

D. H. BRUSH, Lieut.-colonel, Cmdg.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 24, pt. I, pp. 468-469.

16, Skirmish at Rheatown

No circumstantial reports filed.




        16, Federal solution to problem of Confederate refugees in Blue Springs

BULL'S GAP, April 16, 1864.

Maj.-Gen. SCHOFIELD, Knoxville:

The rebel families and surgeons last sent beyond our lines are still at Blue Springs, and do not get any transportation from the enemy. They apply for rations, and also to be sent to Greeneville. The roads are bad, and the former trips were hard on our teams, but I think they should either go back to Knoxville or farther to the front. Have you any instructions?

J. D. COX, Brig.-Gen., Cmdg.

KNOXVILLE, TENN., April 16, 1864.

Brig.-Gen. COX, Bull's Gap:

The enemy should furnish transportation for persons sent through the lines from the point where the railroad cannot be used; at all events do not send them to Greeneville until the roads are in better condition. You will have to feed them while they remain with you.

J. M. SCHOFIELD, Maj.-Gen.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 32, pt. III, p. 377.

        16, "Sales of Real Estate."

There is a good deal of real estate changing hands in the city at present. Those who have a superabundance of greenbacks are investing quite freely. The following sales have been negotiated through the agency office of Messrs. Nelson & Murfree within the last two days:

Store house, No. 3, on the Public Square, 18 by 90 feet, sold to Mr. A. V. S. Lindsley for &13,500.

A small dwelling house on Summer street, a few doors North of Broad, belonging to Mr. M. S. Combs, sold to MR. George Mullins for $3,000.

A small frame dwelling house on the West side of College street, in the eighth ward, lot 35, by 138 feet, belonging to Mr. John Lumsden, sold to Mr. James Hughes for $1,500.

A brick dwelling on Cherry street, in the third ward, lot 32 ½ by 165 feet, belonging to Mrs. R.A.V. Handy of Philadelphia, and others, sold for $75,00.

WE have heard of a number of transactions in real estate in the county, but are not sufficiently posted, nor are we authorized, to give the particulars. There is a greater degree of activity in the real estate market than has been exhibited since the commencement of the war.

The brick dwelling of Jos. R. Ryan, Esq., corner of Gay and Spruce streets, 4th ward, sold to James Hughes.

Nashville Dispatch, April 16, 1864.

        16-May 4, 1864, Social change in Columbia, reaction to the establishment of freedmen's schools

….greate [sic] excitement about the negro schools in the Town.

Nimrod Porter Diary, April 16, 1864.

….some excitement about the negro schools in Town….

Nimrod Porter Diary, April 18, 1864.

….[Mayor] Andrews, W. J. Andrews, Wiley George, Jno. Latta, Jack Porter, St. Ledger White all in gard [sic] house for whipping the negro teacher (Cap [sic] Jordan)….

Nimrod Porter Diary, April 22, 1864.

….The Mair [sic] & others still in the gard [sic] house. Great many contraband negroes [sic] leaving their masters.

Nimrod Porter Diary, April 25, 1864.

The Grand Jury has found true bills agt [sic] the citizens Andrews :& others for whipping a negro [sic] by the aldermen [sic] the military won't give up the prisoners.

Nimrod Porter Diary, May 4, 1864.




        16, Reaction to news of the murder of Abraham Lincoln

Pretty day. Easter Sunday. Mr. Guthrie came over from town this morn, informed us that Lincoln was shot Friday night at the theatre, died at 7:30 o'clock Saturday morn. Secretary Seward was stabbed whilst in bed, was not killed. Wilkes Booth [sic] was the perpetrator of the deed, assisted by others whose names as yet are not known. Cannons were fired every half hour at Chattanooga all day....

Diary of Myra Adelaide Inman.

16, Burning of Federal steamer St. Paul in the Hatchie River, Tenn.

Report of Acting Rear-Admiral Lee, U. S. Navy, with enclosures, referring also to the probable destruction of steamers Sylph and Anna Everton.

FLAGSHIP BLACK HAWK, Mound City, April 20, 1865.

SIR: Acting Master James Fitzpatrick, commanding U. S. S. Siren, reports, under date of 16th April, the burning of the steamer St. Paul and the capture and probable burning of the steamers Sylph and Anna Everton by guerrillas, in the Hatchee [sic] River, on the morning of the 16th instant.

Under Major-General Washburn's General Order No. 31, of which I enclosed a copy, boats have been ascending the Hatchee [sic] for trading purposes.

I enclose a copy of Acting Master Fitzpatrick's report.

I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, yours,

S. P. LEE, Acting Rear-Admiral, Commanding Mississippi Squadron.

Hon. GIDEON WELLES, Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D. C.


U. S. S. SIREN, Mississippi River, April 16, 1865.

SIR: I have just been informed of the capture and burning of the steamer St. Paul by a party of guerrillas whilst up the Hatchee [sic] River, also of the capture of the steamers Sylph and Anna Everton. Below please find statement of the captain of the St. Paul:

On Monday, the 10th instant, Lieutenant [Joseph] Luxton, who claims to belong to Bill Forrest's command, and a half brother of General Forrest, with 6 men, came on the steamer St. Paul at Brownsville Landing; said they had gone down on the Elwood and protected her out. Left Brownsville on Tuesday, the 11th, stopped at Lowry's Landing, waiting for cotton. They shot one of the deck hands at Lowry's and he either got overboard himself and swam ashore or they threw him overboard. On Wednesday, the 12th, 6 more men came on hoard with horses at Lowry's and got off at Bond's Landing; claimed to belong to Lee's company of [W. C.] Quantrill's guerrillas. On 15th met steamer Sylph aground below Bragg's Landing in possession of party of about 20 of Quantrill's men. Three miles below, at Bryant's Ferry, another party, about 20 of Quantrill's men, under Jo. Lee, took possession of the Anna Everton; Jo. Lee was on board. They put the freight ashore and tore up the cabin, barn, etc.; said they intended burning her. Started up the river with her to go to the Sylph. Said they intended burning both boats. The St. Paul came down to Morgan's Landing (which is about 40 miles from the mouth), and they burned the St. Paul Sunday morning at that point. Saw citizens who reported seeing smoke from the other two boats; that they were fired Sunday morning. Quantrill's men captured the Anna Everton and Sylph, and Lieutenant Luxton's men the St. Paul. Believe this was the real Luxton. He was joined by two or three others at Morgan's Landing. Part of the crew of the Anna Everton came on the St. Paul to Morgan's Landing.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES FITZPATRICK, Acting Master, Commanding.

Commander A. BRYSON, Comdg. Essex and 8th Dist., U. S. S. Fairy, Mound City, Ill.

Report of Acting Rear-Admiral Lee, U. S. Navy, transmitting additional report from the commanding officer of the U. S. S. Siren, showing that the steamers Sylph and Anna Everton were not destroyed.

FLAGSHIP TEMPEST, Mound City, April 26, 1865.

SIR: Referring to my No. 183, of 20th instant, reporting the destruction of the steamer St. Paul and the probable destruction of two other steamers by guerrillas in Hatchee [sic] River, I enclose a report (copy) from Acting Master Fitzpatrick, commanding U. S. S. Siren, dated 22d April, respecting an expedition sent by Brigadier-General [E. D.] Osband to Brownsville, one column of which captured the guerrilla who has been passing for Luxton, but whose proper name was Wilcox, who burned the St. Paul. He was immediately hung by General Osband's order. It appears from this report that the Sylph and Anna Everton were not burned, but had come out of Hatchee [sic] River.

I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, yours,

S. P. LEE, Acting Rear-Admiral, Commanding Mississippi Squadron.

Hon. GIDEON WELLES, Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D. C.


U. S. S. SIREN, Off Randolph, Tenn., April 22, 1865.

SIR: I most respectfully make the following report:

April 19 an expedition under command of Brigadier-General Osband started for Brownsville, Tenn., in three columns; one from this place, one by way of Hatchee [sic] River, and one from Fulton, Tenn.

They returned this afternoon, having been successful in capturing 1 colonel, 1 major, 4 captains, 2 lieutenants, and 12 men, and killing General Shelby's adjutant. One of the men captured is the fellow that has been passing for Luxton. General Osband[4] hung him from a cottonwood tree at this place this evening [22nd]; his body is still hanging from the tree.

He confessed to burning the St. Paul and to killing one man on board of her. His proper name is Wilcox. His father lives in Memphis, Tenn.

The steamers Anna Everton and Sylph were not burned by the guerrillas. They came out of Hatchee [sic] River this afternoon.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES FITZPATRICK, Acting Master, Commanding.

Commander A. BRYSON, Commanding Essex and Eighth District, Mound City, Ill.

Navy OR, Ser. I, Vol. 27, pp. 146-149.

        16, Parade and badges of mourning for man and horse prescribed in Memphis in honor of Abraham Lincoln



COL.: In memory of the immortal man murdered upon the 14th instant, the troops of this command will parade mounted to-morrow morning, the 17th instant, at 10 a. m. promptly, upon the open ground at the south extension of Shelby street. Each officer and enlisted man will wear upon his left arm and upon his saber hilt the appropriate badge of morning. Upon the forehead of each horse and attached to the bridle will be fastened a festoon, one-half of black carpe and one-half of white cambric, each three inches wide and one yard long. Sabers will be carried in reserve when the command "march" is given.

By order of Bvt. Brig. Gen. E. D. Osband:

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 49, pt. II, p. 375

        16, Observing Lincoln's death in Pulaski


In honor to the memory of Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth President of the United States, of whose death official notice has been received, the general commanding directs that on to-morrow all drills and other duties except those which are indispensable, such as picket and interior guard, be suspended throughout this command; that religious services be held in every regiment having a chaplain; that the public offices, all stores, shops and other places of business and amusement at this post be closed, and that the day be scarcely observed, both by citizens and soldiers, in a manner becoming the mournful occasion. The provost-marshal and the officer of the day for the post are enjoined to see that this order is duly observed. This order to be read at the head of every regiment and detached company in the command at the dress parade of this day.

E. T. WELLS, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 49, pt. II, p. 368.


[1] According to CAR only. This event is neither referenced in OR, nor Dyer's Battle Index for Tennessee. CAR is not noted for its accuracy, a characteristic of Dyer's Battle Index for Tennessee, also.

[2] University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Library Special Collections.

[3] As cited in:, with permission from Cyndee Wagner.

[4] E. D. Osband, Brevet Brig.-Gen. In command of the Third U. S. Colored Cavalry, District of West Tennessee. Osband is not referenced in Generals in Blue.


James B. Jones, Jr.

Public Historian

Tennessee Historical Commission

2941 Lebanon Road

Nashville, TN  37214

(615)-770-1090 ext. 15(615)-532-1549  FAX


No comments: